Tooth filling is a treatment for caries, pulpitis and periodontitis. With the help of fillings, the dentist restores the anatomical shape and function of the tooth.
The most common disease in dentistry is caries. This is the destruction of hard tooth tissues by pathogenic bacteria. Caries develops due to poor oral hygiene: a biofilm is formed that promotes the growth of pathogenic microorganisms. As a result, you will notice a dark spot on the tooth, which will be the reason for the visit to the dentist.
By location, caries are divided into the following types:
- Caries of enamel;
- Caries of dentin;
- Caries of cementum
In the process of caries development, there are four stages:
- Caries in the stage of stain;
- Superficial caries;
- Medium caries;
- Deep caries.
In the initial stages of caries, treatment is painless and is performed without anesthesia. The duration of the procedure is 10 minutes. In such cases, it is extremely rare to have complications such as pulpitis and periodontitis.
Deeper caries is treated under local anesthesia if the patient needs it.
Tooth filling is divided into six stages:
- Limiting a tooth with special soft plates;
- Cleaning a tooth from plaque and food debris;
- Removal of pathological tissues under the control of a caries marker that stains it so that the dentist can see even the smallest areas.
- Filling the cavity with a filling material;
- Sanding the surface of the filling;
- Polishing with a brush and paste.
The choice of filling material depends on the location of caries, age, duration of wear of the filling, the economic situation of the patient:
- Cement - a material that has been popular for a long time. As a permanent filling, it does not last long, but can be used as a temporary option.
- Plastic is an economical material, but over time it changes color. Such material does not exclude caries recurrence.
- Amalgam contains silver. Commonly is used for chewing tooth surfaces. The peculiarity of this material is that it will serve you longer than the previous ones. With amalgam you can forget about the filling for 10 years.
- Composite is a material made of plastic and quartz powder. Is used for small cavities. The composite can be trusted in strength and color. The service life of such fillings is from 2 to 5 years.
- Photopolymer is a more modern material that solidifies under a special halogen lamp. The advantage of the material in a wide range of shades, you can choose the most suitable color for your teeth. The service life of filling is from 5 years.
- Glass ionomer cement - a material containing fluorine. Its features: protection against re-infection, low risk of cracks. Used more often in pediatric dentistry. Service life - from 5 years.
- Chemically settable composites - have come to replace conventional cement. The main components of such composites is phosphorus. The disadvantage of such fillings is the appearance of pores, which can lead to relapse.
After setting the dental filling, it is recommended not to eat or drink anything other than water for 2 hours, as food can color the filling until it has dried completely.
If a tooth is not filled in time, caries will penetrate into its neurovascular bundle and develop into pulpitis. Then the process spreads to the ligaments that hold the tooth and periodontitis develops.
With pulpitis and periodontitis, it is necessary to treat the tooth canals. To this end, the carious cavity is cleaned of pathological tissues and medicine is placed in the canals of the tooth. A temporary filling is placed on top of the medicine for 1-2 weeks, which will keep the medicine inside the tooth. With a temporary filling, you can safely eat, it will not crumble and not fall out. After removing the temporary fillings and medications, the dentist fills the canals and then the tooth cavity.
To prevent caries and its complications, it’s enough to follow 5 rules of prevention:
- Healthy food. Bacteria, which cause caries, multiply faster in the presence of fast carbohydrates;
- Oral hygiene 2 times a day (teeth, tongue);
- Rinse the mouth after eating;
- Use floss. Dental floss helps clean out leftover food between teeth;
- Routine checkups at the dentist 2 times a year.
In the Igor Kukharyk clinic, tooth filling is safe and of high quality. You can check the prices for filling services here.
Tooth filling in Kiev: Dovzhenka street, 3 (metro station Shuliavska).